Thursday, December 15, 2011

Dare to Compete

I have been privileged to travel extensively. I've seen the many different ways women contribute. I've met activists working to advance human rights from Belarus to Uzbekistan. I've met with young women standing up for representative government in Tunisia, Libya, and Egypt. I've watched entrepreneurs in Africa, Asia, and Latin America working to improve their lives, the lives of their children, their employees, and local economies. And today, we are addressing another way that women can make a great contribution through public service.

I have been fortunate to serve in different capacities in my life, and have had the support of so many people. But even with all that support, I remember the trepidation that I felt when I was being pushed to consider running for a Senate seat in New York. I had never run for elected office. I wasn't sure it was the right thing to do. And one day, I would wake up and say absolutely not going to do it. The next day, I'd wake up and say, well, so-and-so called me, maybe I should reconsider. And I was on this rollercoaster of emotions until I got what I chose to take as a sign.

I was at an event promoting a documentary about women in sports, in a gymnasium in a high school in New York City. And we were gathered under a giant banner that happened to be the name of the documentary, which was Dare to Compete. (Laughter.) And—you know where this is going, right? (Laughter.)

So just as I stepped forward, having been introduced by this very incredibly dynamic young and tall woman, who happened to be the captain of the high school basketball team, I went up to shake her hand to thank her, and she leaned over to me and whispered in my ear, "Dare to compete, Mrs. Clinton. Dare to compete." (Laughter.)

So, soon after that, I decided to enter the race, and it was one of the best decisions of my life.
—From Secretary of State Hillary Clinton's remarks to the Women in Public Service Colloquium in Washington DC today.

You can watch the speech and read the entire transcript here. Clinton's speech begins at about minute 25 in the video.

No comments:

Post a Comment